At Duke, the pediatric hospital medicine service is dedicated to providing seamless, expert medical care for each child and family. Our highly trained hospitalists take care of a broad range of ages and diagnoses in a child-friendly inpatient setting. We have dedicated pediatric nurses, pharmacists, phlebotomists, therapists, dieticians, case managers and child life specialists who all come together as a team to provide patient and family-centered care. In the course of diagnosis and treatment, every effort is taken to make children as comfortable as possible. In addition, parents are encouraged to take an active role in their child's care whenever possible. Physicians requesting inpatient admission at Duke can contact us through the Duke Transfer Center at 919-681-3440.
Our dedicated transfer center team stands ready to help you access our services and connect to a Duke specialist at Duke University, Duke Regional, or Duke Raleigh Hospital in minutes. We work with you and your patients to ensure the highest quality of care at the location that best meets each patient’s needs.
The Duke Transfer Center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 919-681-3440.
How the Transfer Center helps you
When you call the Duke Transfer Center, highly qualified registered nurses will assist you and triage your request by:
- Facilitating the necessary physician-to-physician consult to discuss patient condition and coordinate hand-off of care.
- Helping to coordinate insurance approval and transport services to ensure your patients are able to get rapid access to the care they need.
- Keeping you up-to-date on the status of your transfer request.
Information we need
For the most efficient service, please provide the following information:
- Requester’s name and contact number.
- Referring physician’s name, phone number, and facility.
- Patient’s name, date of birth, gender, diagnosis, insurance information, type of transport needed, level of care needed (for example, ICU), and medical specialty being requested (cardiology, medicine, pediatrics, etc.)