Each year, the Department of Pediatrics distributes support for clinical, basic, or applied research projects proposed by investigators within the Duke Children’s community that is made possible by generous donations from the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and the Derfner Foundation. We are now issuing a call for applications for funding. It is hoped that funded projects will provide the preliminary data that will lead to successful future external grant applications and peer reviewed publications.
The deadline for this Research Awards grant cycle is January 13, 2020, at 11:59 pm.
The completed application, budget, research proposal, mentor letter of support (if applicable) and CV must be submitted as a SINGLE PDF that is emailed to PediatricResearch@duke.edu. If you have questions, please email Katie Misuraca (email@example.com).
All applications will be judged based upon:
- Likelihood of the work being successfully performed in the proposed time
- Presence of appropriate statistical considerations, including power calculations, when appropriate
- Budget is explained in detail and fully justified
- Preliminary data are not required but will be considered if they are included in the application
Two categories of grants will be considered:
- Grants of up to $15,000 over one year.
- Eligible applicants include fellows and post-docs who are based in the Department of Pediatrics.
- A letter of support from the mentor is required in the application.
- Salary is not permitted in the budget.
- Grants of up to $40,000 over one year.
- Eligible applicants include faculty members whose primary appointment is the Department of Pediatrics.
- Up to 10% PI effort may be included in the budget.
- Include a description of how the data generated will be used in support of future external grant applications.
- Priority will be given to junior faculty members however, faculty members of all levels will be considered.
- Mid-level or senior faculty members who apply should provide a list of their current funding and a clear description of why their current funding does not support the proposed research.
*Note for potential applicants who have previously received a Derfner/CMNH Research Award:
While receipt of a second award under this mechanism would be uncommon, it will be considered if the following conditions are met:
- The first award resulted in at least one publication and at least one external award and,
- The new proposal reflects a new line of research
Feel free to discuss with Coleen Cunningham if you are considering applying and you have a previously funded Derfner or CMNH award.
Expectations of Awardees/Terms of Award
- At the time of the award, the recipient will be notified of the source of his/her award (CMNH or Derfner). The designated source must be acknowledged any time the results of the study are presented or published.
- Acceptance of an award indicates that the investigator is willing to present the research project to an audience designated by the Duke Children’s Development Office.
- The awards will begin on July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021. Requests for carry-over of funds must be received in writing to PediatricResearch@duke.edu no later than 30 days prior to the award termination date. The request for carry-over must describe the reasons for the request. Unexpended funds not requested for carry-over or those denied for carry-over will be returned to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Fund or Derfner Research Fund. Over-expenditure of Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals or Derfner Research Awards is the responsibility of the award recipient.
- By July 1, 2021 the investigator will provide a written progress report (via REDCap Survey) of the research performed to date as well as a financial report detailing the expenditures of the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals or Derfner Research Award funds. Failure to demonstrate adequate progress may lead to termination of funding. Research progress reports will be requested and MUST be filled out (through REDCap) annually until the investigator indicates that no further publications, presentations, or grants are expected.
- All awards are subject to SOM 15% Facilities and Administration (F&A) tax upon expenditure of the award dollars. The award limit must include this expense and THIS MUST BE INCLUDED AS A LINE ITEM WHEN YOUR BUDGET IS BEING CREATED.
All proposals will be peer-reviewed, and awards will be announced on or before April 7, 2020.