Each year a portion of the net proceeds from the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals fund raising at Duke is allocated to the Kids Care Fund. This fund awards Kids Care Grants to support patient/family needs, entertainment and educational activities directed at the patients and families receiving care throughout all of the Duke Children’s inpatient and outpatient practices.
Applications for Kids Care grants are reviewed by the Kids Care Grant Committee composed of physicians, allied health personnel, a patient/parent and administrators from the Duke Children’s community. Kids Care Grant funds are designed to provide funding for the early phases of clinical projects that impact the care provided to our patient population. Special consideration is given to those meritorious applications for which there is no other available source of funding. It is expected that projects that are successful will be incorporated into the appropriate operational budget (DUHS, PDC or departmental) for long term maintenance. Kids Care Grant funding is not designed to be a continuous, long term source of support for project budgets.
Kids Care Grants will be awarded for a period of 12 months. The maximum amount of an individual grant must not exceed $10,000. All grant requests must be reviewed/approved by the requestor’s supervisor and/or medical director (if the request impacts a unit or clinic) prior to being submitted. Please note that Kids Care Grants do not support research projects, staff travel, marketing brochures, personnel, CME/conference fees and patient care expenses. The requestor must address any health considerations or concerns for the item(s) requested within the application.
If you want to request funding for research projects, you may apply for a Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Research Grant at Duke. Please contact PediatricResearch@duke.edu for information about the CMNH Research Grant process.
The deadline for applications for the next funding cycle for Kids Care Grants is Wednesday, November 1, 2017, at 11:59 pm. If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each application, including required budget, etc., must be submitted as a single electronic Word file document or PDF to email@example.com.
- Multiple files related to one request will not be accepted and will be returned to the requestor.
- Requestors must also delete the instructions page(s) before submitting the final grant application.
Applications will be reviewed promptly, and the Committee’s decisions will be communicated to all applicants.
Your “Works Administrator" is the individual in the applicant’s division or department who reconciles all procurement card expenditures to the monthly p-card statements and the Duke fund code to which the award is made.
Post-Award Kids Care Grant Management
To confirm receipt of an award and receive funding, the responsible individual for the awarded application should:
- Within 5 business days, contact Tammy Long (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 919.681.6025 for directions regarding the transfer of dollars.
- Within 30 days of the award notice, the responsible individual will contact Karen McClure at (email@example.com) to schedule brief meeting where the individual will meet with the Duke Children’s Development team to learn more about CMNH and the individual’s stewardship responsibilities.
- After 6 months of funding, a template report form will be sent to the responsible individual for the awarded application. This report will be reviewed by the Kids Care Grant Committee and should summarize the status of the project and impact of the grant thus far. This report is important for continuation of funding for the remainder of the funding period.
- At the end of the funding period, a template report form will be sent to the responsible individual for the awarded application that should summarize the final accomplishments and impact of the grant. Also, it should note details regarding any unexpended funds. This report is important for multiple reasons, including acknowledging our donor support, developing future philanthropic efforts and for reporting to the national office of CMNH hospitals for donor stewardship.
- If invited, the responsible individual(s) will need to share the impact of their grant on a conference call or in a meeting with CMNH partners.
Any expenses budgeted per the award must be processed for reimbursement no later than 30 days following the end of the grant period; otherwise funds will be automatically be returned to the Kids Care Fund.