Thomas Roberts Kinney, MD
For the past 15 years, Thomas R. Kinney, MD has focused his clinical research efforts on sickle cell. He has been a leader in the NIH funded multi-institutional collaborative study that began in 1978 to define the natural history of sickle cell disease. He also has played a pivotal role in the implementation and monitoring of the North Carolina Neonatal Hemoglobinopathy Screening Program. In 1993, he served as Co-Chairman of a Federal Panel convened by the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research to develop guidelines for sickle cell screening programs.
Dr. Kinney currently serves as the Associate Chairman Emeritus of the Department of Pediatrics.
Education and Training
- M.D., Duke University, 1970
Selected Grants and Awards
- CTSA UL
- Duke/Unc Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center
- Continuation Of Pediatric Cohort Of The Cooperative Study
- Comprhensive Sickle Cell Center
- Prophylactic Penicillin In Sickle Cell Disease
- Props Ii, Ancillary Nasopharyngeal Culture Study
- Investigation Of Selected Patient Groups From The Cooperat
- To Demonstrate The Value Of Newborn Screening For Hemoglob
- A Demonstration Of The Impact Of Psychosocial Multi-Resour
- Display Memoryn Of The Impact Of Psychosocial Multiresouce